Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Religion is not always extreme

My last post about the controversial Bill in the Tennessee Legislature has sparked many comments and reactions, most, I'm happy to say, condemning the Bill.

There were a few people who disagreed with the comments I made about our Muslim brothers and sisters.  Many people disagreed, stating that they had seen firsthand, instances of intolerance or cruelty, towards women and Christians in a Muslim country.

I don't disagree with that.  When I was stationed in Saudi Arabia in 1990-1991, during Desert Storm, I saw instances of this myself.  As a matter of fact, it was years before I could even speak of it.  I remember seeing a husband beat the tar out of his wife in the middle of the street, just because her veil blew up in a sandstorm and the bottom of her face was shown to us.  I remember the Morals Police walking around with their sticks, ready to pounce on any, poor unsuspecting woman who was not dressed according to their standards.

I remember the Air Force Captain who sued a few years later, because it was intolerable to her that she was sent over there to put her life on the line for this country, but when she went out in public, she had to wear an abaya.  What hypocrisy.  But then again, the Saudis never wanted us women over there.  It was ok for the US Government to fight their battle, as long as it did not involve women.  Yes, I was bitter for a long time.

When my mother and I decided to go to Egypt and Jordan two years ago,  I went with many preconceived notions.  I so desperately wanted to go because Egyptian History had always been one of my loves.  But did I want to see more of the cruelty firsthand?  I had become even more intolerant and angry after 9/11.  Could I go to another Muslim country and keep my mouth shut if I saw things that were offensive?  I wrestled with those questions for some time before I left.

When I got to Egypt, I was at first overwhelmed with noise and dust.  At first, being woken up by calls to prayer annoyed me.  But it took only a day to see how friendly the Egyptians were.  I dressed conservatively to be respectful, but in no way did I look like a Muslim woman.  Then, I looked around - really looked around.  What I saw astounded me.  Over 90% of the women were dressed in Western wear.  I did not see many chadors or fully veiled women at all.  Most had on head scarves, but that was the extent of their traditional garb. I saw women who were treated respectfully and whose opinions mattered.  I always felt saf, walking down the street, more safe than on many American city streets.

I had the opportunity to spend two days with a young Muslim woman.  We spent many hours, just the three of us, talking, and she was very honest with me.  In tolerant Muslim countries, women have to right to work, the right to choose their own husbands, the right to live their lives.  They choose to wear their head scarves.  Noone can force them to.  Their future is bright.  It was the same way in Jordan.  I saw women walking down the streets in jeans, laughing with each other, and nobody gave them a second look.

I saw Muslims and Christians living next door to each other in harmony and respect for each other.  I saw them protect Christian relics as carefully as Muslim relics.  They showed me that it is possible to live together in peace.  What I saw in those two countries is that the average person just wants to live in peace.  They want the same things we do.  A better life for ourselves and our children.  The average Joe is not interested in killing others because their beliefs are different.

Now, I am not naive enough to think it's that way in every country in the Middle East.  It's not.  But I see more demonstrations everywhere, looking for a better life, a more peaceful life.  Yes, the Brotherhood of Islam exists, as do other extremist groups.  But we also have extremist groups right here in the United States.  Look at the Militias, look at Tucson, look at members of the Westboro Baptist Church who picket at servicememembers' funerals.  Look at Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber.  The list is endless.

But we do not judge ourselves by the more extreme members of our society.  I am merely suggesting that we should not judge other religions by their extremists, either.  Those dregs of society are visible everywhere in the world and are the exception, not the rule.  It's the same way in every country, be they Christian, Muslim, or any other religion.

Evil has no religion.  It is simply evil.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy Pitts Reeves, L.C.S.W.March 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM

    Marion,

    This is a beautiful, heartfelt essay that speaks to the heart of what makes all of us human. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    All the best,
    Wendy Pitts Reeves

    ReplyDelete