Two Tennessee lawmakers, State Sen. Stacey Campfield and Rep. Bill Dunn, have introduced a bill in the state’s legislature that would ban schools from discussing any sexual orientation other than heterosexuality. The bill, House Bill 229 and Senate Bill 49 (PDF 36KB/1 page), says in part: “No public elementary or middle school shall provide any instruction or material that discusses sexual orientation other than heterosexuality.”
![]() |
| Tennessee State Sen. Stacey Campfield (left) and Rep. Bill Dunn (right), both R-Knoxville |
So, here is my rant, and if I offend anyone with my opinion, I apologize. Understand that this is my opinion and I hope that you will respect it, as I would respect yours. After all, that is the cornerstone of this country and I love to celebrate our differences. I don't want to change the world with my statements, just offer up what's in my heart and head.
I have had gay friends for most of my life, and to this day, I don't understand what all the uproar is about. They work, pay their taxes, buy a house and live their lives just like I do. Who they choose to share that life with is none of my business, but if they find happiness, more power to them. It's not up to me or anyone else to decide who they need to share their life with. The divorce rate is up to 50%. I don't think that with that kind of failure, that heterosexuals have the right to condemn an alternate lifestyle. What's that old saying? Clean up your own backyard before criticizing your neighbors... Whether I agree with that lifestyle is immaterial. This country was founded on the right to freedom and this is a part of that. People have the right to live their life as they choose. Who gave us the power to judge other humans? I have never had a gay friend EVER try to change my sexual orientation, or anyone else's for that matter. So why do we have to try to change theirs.
And while I'm offending people, let me continue with religion. Two years ago, I was fortunate enough to go to Egypt and Jordan for three weeks. While there, I had some life-altering experiences. I had the opportunity to sit and talk with some real Muslims, not extremists and walked away with a new understanding of these wonderful people and their religion. That is not to say that there is not extremism going on in parts of the Middle East; there is, and my heart is heavy at the oppression that they continue to face.
But Christianity is also steeped in extremism. Let's look at the Crusades, witch hunts and even the "fanatics", who had to escape religious persecution and ended up founding this great nation.
I'm not here to change anyone's beliefs or opinions. I respect them and even celebrate them. After all, life would be dull if everyone were the same. What I hope is that this makes you think before you pass judgement on someone and their lifestyle. Would you want someone looking in and criticizing you? We are all equal under the law of this country and in God's eyes, so think before you speak. You never know who prejudice could hurt - it could be a member of your own family.

Terrific analysis. This proposed bill highlights the worst type of political grandstanding -- standing on the backs of the already marginalized. Disgusting.
ReplyDeleteI've said it before and I'll say it again: gay bashing is the last form of psuedo-socially acceptable discrimination left in our country.
ReplyDeleteWhat I can't figure out is this: if the Republican party's main platform is keeping government out of the lives of the people, then why do they think it's ok to tell people what they can and can't teach. Don't they support schooling at the local level?
Let's take their argument to it's full conclusion. They want smaller, local government. Then doesn't that mean the logical end would be at the city or county level. Or even the neighborhood level. Isn't the state government telling us what we can and can't do merely a scaled down version of the federal government doing the same thing?
/end rant
Fantastic post. It seems each year our "great" legislature picks something to harp on other than things it should be addressing. Instead of talking about the budget and employment, those yahoos in Nashville, Washington and all the rest of the seats of government spend their time and our money talking about the most inconsequential things. And these two take the cake. How the people of their districts could elect them I will never know.
ReplyDeleteMarion,
ReplyDeleteI guess I must disagree with a little of this. I cannot speak to the Tennessee legislation that has been proposed because I haven't read the bill to see the actual language of it.
I would like to momentarily address Islam. My first experience with the religion was when I served in the U.S. Army in Pakistan in the '60's. One of my earliest shocking revelations was when one of our "house boys" approached me one day. Very quietly, he informed me that he feared for his life EVERY day because he had converted to Chrisianity.
Pakistan and study of different religions over the years also taught me that the women of Islam are treated more as property in many countries, and in some, they can't even drive or be out in public alone.
While I would agree with you that the current turmoil in the Middle East "could" be encouraging, with Iran and the Muslim Brotherhood involved, I have serious doubts that much good will come of their "revolution."
Only time will tell. I really hope to be wrong.