Sunday, March 6, 2011

31 Day Prompt - Day 6

A favorite memory.


A memory that I will never forget happened just a couple of years ago.  My dear friend and mentor, Fred Forster, had been recently diagnosed with esophageal cancer.  As was usually the case with him, he fought it with grace and humor.

That year's Relay For life was just a few months after he had been diagnosed and started treatment, so it was extra special, not only to him, but also to those who loved him.  During the Survivor's Ceremony, we always took pictures after all the survivors received their medallions.  During the photo shoot, butterflies are released directly behind the survivors.  Lo and behold, a butterfly landed on Fred's shoulder and stayed there.  It stayed on his shoulder during his entire survivor's lap and finally flew away on the home stretch.

Fred couldn't get over the miracle of that little butterfly landing on him and staying with him.  He swore that it was God's touch guiding him on this journey.  It didn't matter what anyone else believed.  He believed that and his passion made us believe.

It made us believe that that butterfly was a sign that he would fight this fight and win.  And he did.  The cancer eventually took his life, but it didn't win.  It didn't take his spirit, his faith, or his grace.

The smile on his face that day with that little butterfly on his shoulder is a memory I will never forget.

3 comments:

  1. You brought tears to my eyes. I lost my ex-husband to esophageal cancer a year before I lost my husband to head/neck cancer. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. God did allow us to experience that small miracle that day - what butterfly remains in the same place for almost 15 minutes! We were still in shock that day because he had only been diagnosed a couple of weeks before Relay, but Fred's positive spirit never waivered - even 3 1/2 years later.
    Thank you, friend, for this beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, I will never forget that day - it was such a beautiful memory.

    Donna, I also lost my grandfather to this cancer and have had several polyps found in my own esophagus. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete