Hmmmm, this was a tough one. I started to say a book, because I would be totally lost if I didn't have a book to read. Books are our windows to the world. They allow us to travel without leaving our chairs. They give us an education without going into the classroom. They makes us think. They can makes us afraid of the dark. I have laughed and cried in the same hour.
...Watching the World go by. Being on the other side of 50, it seems that time is racing by me in a marathon. I can't grab it by the collar to stop it, so all I can do is to make the most of it while I have it.
Monday, March 7, 2011
31 Day Prompt - Day 7
Something I use every day.
Hmmmm, this was a tough one. I started to say a book, because I would be totally lost if I didn't have a book to read. Books are our windows to the world. They allow us to travel without leaving our chairs. They give us an education without going into the classroom. They makes us think. They can makes us afraid of the dark. I have laughed and cried in the same hour.
I can read just about anything. Biographies, autobiographies, thrillers, suspense, romance, self-help. As long as the book is interesting and takes me out of my world, I will read it. Of course, the popularity of the Kindle has turned my comfortable little world upside down. I love my books, but I read so fast that I always end up with a big stack of books to store somewhere. And I hate clutter. The Kindle takes care of all that, I know. But would I be happy holding a piece of electronic equipment? What would it be like not to hear the crinkle of paper as I turn the page? What would it be like not to sneak a peak at the last page with just a quick turn of the wrist and pretend I didn't do it? I am so torn. It's a good thing I'm not making this decision anytime soon.
What I do use every day, though, is my computer. I don't know what I'd do without it. It's not just a tool. It's my window to the world. With social media, I am never more than a mouseclick away from friends and family. I can talk to hundreds of people without having to fix my hair or leave my house. And I don't have to wear heels either. I love knowing what my friends are up to, what movie they've just seen or what they're passionate about this week. I love being able to share things in the comfort of my living room. And the friends I've made on Facebook!
Fun aside, I also use my computer for business purposes. Right now, I've been able to do hundreds of hours of research on my business and not have to waste gas, running around. I've found locations, vendors, laws and best practices all while sitting in my jammies, drinking my coffee. My bank has been able to e-mail me all my loan documents, saving me countless trips to a fax machine, or post office. I am able to network without having to dress up and go somewhere. Yep, while I could live without my computer, I couldn't live as easily and comfortably. I think it would be easier to give up the husband. My computer doesn't complain or expect dinner or clean laundry. Hmmmm....
Hmmmm, this was a tough one. I started to say a book, because I would be totally lost if I didn't have a book to read. Books are our windows to the world. They allow us to travel without leaving our chairs. They give us an education without going into the classroom. They makes us think. They can makes us afraid of the dark. I have laughed and cried in the same hour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I opted to go on the original schedule (skipping weekends) but have pre-written several days ahead. I had a hard time with this one, too. The laptop and Kindle were high on the list though!
ReplyDelete