Saturday, March 29, 2014

Embrace the Unexpected

So many times, we plan our days down to the last minute.  In doing so, we forget to take the time to expect and embrace the unexpected.  We allow fear to overtake our sense of adventure.  We allow common sense to prevail over fun.  My most memorable times have been when I've not allowed fear to be my loudest voice.  I've learned to treasure the small, unexpected moments, when I've shrugged my shoulders and said "let's do it".

Several years ago, before the civil unrest in Egypt, my mother and I spent three weeks traveling through there and Jordan.  Our friends and family thought we were nuts.  Two people had been killed there just the week before by a bomb!  All sorts of unspeakable things would happen to us!  We smiled, shrugged our shoulders and carried on with our plans.

This is not to say we are reckless.  No, we planned our trip with a reputable tour group, knowing two women shouldn't travel alone for three weeks.  The tour group was great, our safety was ensured and we saw all the treasures of Egypt as we were herded like sheep through the vast museums.

By Day Two, I was chafing at the structure of our groups.  Too many people, too little freedom.  After a short conversation with my mother, we decided to take a huge leap out of our comfort zone.  I went down to the hotel's front desk and asked the desk clerk to recommend a private guide for the next day.  Naturally, he had a cousin that fit the bill. After visions of torture and never seeing my family again, I agreed.

All night, we had second, third and fourth thoughts.  We were putting our lives into the hands of complete strangers in a foreign country.  What were we thinking??  We let our group guide know we were setting off on our own and ventured down to the lobby to await our fate.  A short while later, we heard a soft, feminine voice speak my name. Yes, our tour guide was a young, female college student who worked in her uncle's tour company to make some extra money.  All of a sudden, our fears seemed ridiculous.

Our day with our young tour guide was the best day we had in Egypt.  We spent hours, sitting on the floor of a mosque, talking about the lives of women in Egypt.  I asked her so many questions about her culture and religion, realizing how wrong most of my stereotypical thoughts were.  We visited many gems that day, jewels of Cairo we would have missed otherwise.  Our day spawned happy and beautiful memories that I still treasure today.  And, until, the unrest, I stayed in contact with our young tour guide and live vicariously through her.  I fervently hope she's ok today.


Why write about our day?  Because if we taken the safe route and stayed with our tour group, we would have missed out.  We would never have gotten to know someone as well as we did.  We would never have gotten answer to so many questions that we had.  And we would never have seen the hidden Cairo like we did through the eyes of a local.

Plans are great, but sometimes you just have to step out of your comfort zone and take a risk.  The rewards are well worth it.

For more information and pictures on my trip to Egypt and Jordan, click here...https://marionstravels.shutterfly.com/egypt   

No comments:

Post a Comment