Monday, March 17, 2014

The silent killer

This coming Saturday marks the one year anniversary of a young marine in our town, who took his own life - suicide by cop. He left behind a young wife, pregnant and son. His family, instead of being bitter, is trying to raise awareness of PTSD and the tragedies behind it. They have started a PTSD awareness walk that be this Saturday, on TJ's anniversary.
I plan on attending because I know how easily PTSD can wreck your life and I want to support his family and his memory. 
There is a lot of controversy about TJ's death and the manner he chose to do it.  His dad stated that he was having a flashback to an attack.  If so, I'm so sorry his last moments on earth were such painful ones.  Noone who has served our country honorably deserves this.  
The numbers are staggering.  22 veterans commit suicide every day.  This amounts to over 10 times the amount of veterans lost to suicide than to combat operations.  This is horrifying.  These veterans stood up to sacrifice their lives for their country.  It's time for us to take a stand and do something to support them.  Our veterans deserve better than this.
I just want to ask you all to pray, or think about this family as they come towards this dreaded anniversary. We may not agree with his methods, but we understand the pain that brought him there. The pain the family feels today is indescribable. Please stop for a moment on Saturday at 9:30 am and wish them peace and comfort.  

And if you live in Blount County, please come to the Greenbelt and support this family, as well as all the veterans who suffer from PTSD - the silent killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment