Friday, March 7, 2014

Words of Wisdom

If I could share 500 words (or less) of wisdom to summarize what I’ve learned so far in life, these are the important things I’d want to pass along to others…

Most of what we think are helpless emotions are actually choices.  I don't believe in being helplessly in love. I think love is a choice.    For many years, I believed that the true love of my life was a man I let go many years past.  The result?  Dissatisfaction and unhappiness with the love I had.  I wasted decades dreaming of a man who was real only in my imagination, instead of seeing the man in front of me. My husband was always there for me.  He was my rock.  It took a near death experience for me to appreciate what I had right in front of me.  Once I let go of my foolish dreams and chose to love the life and man I had, life became my dream.

Happiness is also a choice.  Aside from clinical depression or other mental illnesses, we can choose to greet each day with a smile or a frown.  Like the glass half-empty or full, we can choose to let life's challenges get us down or we can see them as opportunities.  Choose happiness and you will feel yourself getting happier every day.

Don't be afraid to take chances in life.  Living a safe life is a boring life.  Stretch yourself.  Want to open your own business, but are afraid of the risks?  So was I, for over 25 years.  I finally bit the bullet in 2011 and opened a doggy daycare.  I know, what was I thinking?  Such a crazy niche in a bad economy - crazy! It turned out to exactly what people were looking for.  I was never happier than I was, surrounded by wonderful dogs.  I've killed every plant I've ever had.  This year, I'm going to plant a garden and I know it will be successful.  I'm going to make sure it is.  I'll do my research and take care of it and nurture it.

Be mindful.  Don't walk by the beautiful flowers at your feet.  Stop and appreciate their simple beauty. When was the last time you got on the floor and played with your kids or your dogs?  Have you woken up to hear the birds outside chirp?  When I was working, I hated to cook.  It was always a rush and a hassle to get something edible on the table.  Now that I have time, I enjoy the creative process, making something out of ingredients.  My favorite place to go is Cades Cove.  every time I go, I find something new to enjoy.  I try to pay this kind of mindfulness to my every day life as well.  I'm enjoying watching the grass turn green again.

Life really is too short to fill it with people you don't like.  Let them go and fill your days with people who make you happy.  Negative people can drain your happiness quotient.  Fill your life with people that mean something to you.

Have a good balance in your life.  Don't let one part take over the other parts of your life.  Your career is important.  So is your family.  So are you.  Don't forget them.  You'll regret it.

Although a cliche, live for today, because tomorrow may not come.  In the military, a dark joke spoke of the fear of retirement because so many people died within six months of retirement.  Another couple I know dreamed of retirement and all the things they would do then.  Two months short of her retirement, she was run over by her own car.  All the things they never did, they'll never do now.  Don't put it off.  Enjoy life now.


No comments:

Post a Comment