What bullshit.
I used to believe in this idealized version of a soul mate. I believed that I met him many years ago and that he slipped through my fingers. I spent too many years mourning the loss of this person and making my every day life feel empty and cold. What it did was make me place less value on myself and the man I had chosen to spend my life with. It caused me to feel discontent in my marriage. It placed strain on many years of lives together, strain that was unnecessary.
I don't believe that we need a soul mate to complete us. To think that implies that we are less than whole by ourselves. I don't agree with that. We don't need anyone else to complete us. We already are. What we're really looking for is someone to enrich our lives and make it stronger and happier than it already is. In my life, that role is played by many different characters, not all of them human.
My first soul mate is my husband. He didn't enter my life 27 years ago in that role. No, he's earned it through the years and the many ups and downs that we've had. In the past year, he and I have overcome several tragedies together, and we are stronger than ever. It seems like we finally fit together and I can't imagine my life without him. We are each other's rock. We balance each other out and take turns being strong for each other. We laugh together and we cry together. Life experiences have made us soul mates and I can truly say that I have never felt such a deep, abiding love as I do now for him.
My next soul mate is a dog. Sage came into my life as a rescue and she lit up my heart the moment I saw her. She used to come to work with me and now spends her days at home with me. She's always with me and you'll never see her out of my sight. Sage is a very calm dog who asks for nothing more than my love. During a time in my life when I had nothing else, she let me see that loving someone was a simple thing. During days when my life was complete chaos, she kept me grounded by taking care of her. She loves me, unconditionally, and only wants to be with me. How could I not feel enriched by this kind of love? All my dogs mean the world to me, but I have to admit that Sage is special.How many soul mates do you have?
No comments:
Post a Comment