There is nothing as hurtful as putting your trust in someone, only for them to betray it. I am slow to trust someone, but when I do, I would give them the shirt off my back.
Trust can take years to build,but only a second to break. Kelly Clarkson sings, "Have you ever been low? Have you ever had a friend that let you down so?When the truth came out...Were you the last to know?"
A professional betrayal is bad enough, but when one is dumb enough to mix business and friendship, then the hurt is twice as bad. When I started my business, I did it with the help of my best friend. That is not a decision to take lightly. So many things could go wrong. The business could fail, the friendship could fail. In this case, both thrived and we emerged unscathed, thank goodness.
But I have not always been so lucky. My credo at the beginning of this business venture was to be the boss I never had. I wanted to be the type of boss that my staff could feel comfortable talking to about anything, and I wanted us to always have an open dialogue going. Yeah, that didn't work too well. After histrionics, some backstabbing and a few other betrayals, I have come to the conclusion that the experts are right. You cannot be friends with your employees.
Here are my "wise" hiring choices. I gave a job to someone who had made several bad choices and noone was willing to hire her. I gave her a chance and she paid me back by badmouthing me to family members. Really? I gave someone else a second chance and she spent more time whining and crying than doing her job. Another second chancer? Left me in the lurch - twice.
And now, someone I considered an employee as well as a close friend has hurt me in a way I didn't think possible. After tossing and turning all night, I know that I am faced with the decision to terminate her and it's killing me. But a friend is supposed to be someone you can count on through all things, good and bad. An employee should be dependable. When a person is neither, it's time to cut the strings.
So, what have I learned from this experience? Not mixing business and friendship may be too extreme, but I will be much more cautious in the future about my relationships with my staff. I may be friendly, but that's it. I will remain being the boss.
It can be lonely at the top.
But I have not always been so lucky. My credo at the beginning of this business venture was to be the boss I never had. I wanted to be the type of boss that my staff could feel comfortable talking to about anything, and I wanted us to always have an open dialogue going. Yeah, that didn't work too well. After histrionics, some backstabbing and a few other betrayals, I have come to the conclusion that the experts are right. You cannot be friends with your employees.
And now, someone I considered an employee as well as a close friend has hurt me in a way I didn't think possible. After tossing and turning all night, I know that I am faced with the decision to terminate her and it's killing me. But a friend is supposed to be someone you can count on through all things, good and bad. An employee should be dependable. When a person is neither, it's time to cut the strings.
So, what have I learned from this experience? Not mixing business and friendship may be too extreme, but I will be much more cautious in the future about my relationships with my staff. I may be friendly, but that's it. I will remain being the boss. It can be lonely at the top.
Hi. Looking forward to visit with you during the A-Z Blogging Challenge.
ReplyDeleteHi. I'm just learning how to do the A-Z Blogging Challenge. Just checking in. This is my first time. I'm learning.
ReplyDelete