Saturday, January 7, 2012

My One Word Challenge 2012

“My One Word” is an experiment designed to move you beyond the past and look ahead. The challenge is simple: lose the long list of changes you want to make this year and instead pick ONE WORD. This process provides clarity by taking all of your big plans for life change and narrowing them down into a single thing. One word focuses on your character and creates a vision for your future.


reach
verb (used with object)
  1. to get to or get as far as in moving, going, traveling, etc.:The boat reached the shore.
  2. to come to or arrive at in some course of progress, action,etc.: Your letter never reached me.
  3. to succeed in touching or seizing with an outstretched hand,a pole, etc.: to reach a book on a high shelf.
  4. to stretch or hold out; extend: reaching out a hand in greeting.
  5. to stretch or extend so as to touch or meet: The bookcase reaches the ceiling.
verb (used without object)
  1. to become outstretched, as the hand or arm.
  2. to make a movement or effort as if to touch or seize something: to reach for a weapon.
  3. to extend in operation or effect: power that reaches throughout the land.
  4. to stretch in space; extend in direction, length, distance,etc.: a coat reaching to the knee; a tower reaching to the skies.

This is my one word for 2012.  Reach can mean so many things to so many people.  We can reach beyond our comfort zones.  We can reach towards our goals.  A lucky few may reach their goals.  We can reach towards success, be it financial, spiritual, health or otherwise.  We can reach out to people and become a better person ourselves.

Myself, I want to reach towards a better life, in three ways:

1.  I want to make my business a successful one.  I'm not out to become rich.  I just want my business to be self-sustaining and continue to provide a much-needed service to my clients.  I want people in my community to know that when they need a place for their dogs, Dog World Resort is the only name on their lips.  The clients I have now are happy and loyal.  My goal is to continue to build my client base through smart marketing.

2.  I want to be healthier.  I'm not talking about just weight loss.  I lost 18 pounds this year, but did it in such an unhealthy way that it did more damage than good.  I just want to feel better, have more energy and sleep better.  I want to have a more positive outlook on life.

3.  I want to continue to reach out to people.  I have made so many friends along   the way and I have not done a good job in staying in touch.  I also have made new   friends and don't make the effort to let them become even better friends. I want to take more time to be a friend and not let these precious people slip out of my life.
So, there are my goals for 2012.  These goals are not quantifiable for a reason:  I want the little successes to mean something and not feel that I have failed or didn't measure up if my goals were not reached in a big way.  My goal is to reach towards a better me.  Whatever steps I reach will be enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment