Saturday, August 22, 2015

Forgiveness the Duggar way

I haven't had much time to write, but several incidents over these past few weeks have encouraged me to step up on my soapbox once again.

When the news came out that Josh Duggar, of 18 Kids and Counting fame, admitted to child molestation, to include his own sisters, I was disgusted, but I was not surprised at the reaction from his family.  After all, they are known to judge others quickly for behaviors not suited to their lifestyle.  But when it comes to their own family and failures, the usual "God will forgive" made its statement. And so, we are supposed to look the other way because they decreed it so.

I have long fought hard to overlook their hypocrisy about their rules of courtship, dress and so on.  On more than one occasion I have heard Michelle Duggar state that their women must dress modestly so as not to attract the unwelcome attentions of a man.  So, if that's their stand, who's at fault for their son molesting their daughters?  Tough choice.  I know!  Let's just tell the world that all is forgiven.  problem solved.

Except that this gift keeps on giving.  Now, it seems, the prodigal son, who has moved back to Arkansas, presumably to get away from the temptations of Washington, D.C. has admitted to being addicted to porn, having an Ashley Madison site, amongst others, as well as admitting to cheating on his wife.  Now, Billy Jim Bob and Michelle are buttfuddled.  They didn't raise Josh this way, so how could this happen???  I'd be willing to bet money that they will find a way to blame his job in Washington. D.C for his latest dalliances with the real world.

I guess if you ever wanted proof that abstinence is not the key, this would be it.  The Duggars have admitted, to their horror, that Josh, along with the other 17 or so kids, was not subjected to this kind of behavior growing up.  As a matter of fact, they were all shielded from it.  What is that old saying?  Make something taboo and they will find a way.  Maybe, as they're raising their next dozen kids, they might want to look at showing the world how it really is and how to deal with it.  The rest of the outside world that is judged to be lacking by the Duggars seems to hold up pretty well, in my eyes.

And now, we have another fall from grace!  YouTuber Sam Rader, of Sam and Nia fame, has been exposed to having TWO Ashley Madison accounts.  Sam and Nia, who have recently made headlines with their announcement of pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage have found themselves embroiled in unwanted publicity.  However, it's OK.  According to Sam,   “I’ve sought forgiveness from God and he’s forgiven me, so I’ve been completely cleansed of this sin.”.  Well, it must be nice to live in your Ivory Tower. 


And no, I'm not bashing Christians.  I am one and believe in the power of forgiveness.  But, when you can do anything you want and then just state you've been cleansed?  I don't think it works that way.  Whatever happened to atonement?  If we all lived our lives according to these two rabid christian families, they can do whatever they want and it's instantly forgiven.  Does this apply to the rest of us poor sinners?  Can we just kill someone and say we've been cleansed?  No, I'm not saying porn is akin to murder.  But at what point are people held accountable for their actions?  Us lesser beings are.  We understand the concept of consequences for our actions.

Sweeping things under the rug, a la Duggar, or simply stating that they are cleansed is not being held accountable.  Even a former president was nearly impeached for the same actions.

My advice to all the Duggars and Raders in our country?  By all means, practice your faith, that is an inalienable right that you have.  But, be a little slower to judge others - your day will almost certainly come.  None of us are perfect.  Maybe it's time to remember that.

1 comment: