So, in this dreary mess that's on its seventh day, here is my top ten list of things I'm grateful for:
1. My darling granddaughter turned six months old.
2. My son turned 31 this week.
When I look at Kate, I'm reminded of Daniel and his baby moments. She reminds me so much of him and I love having the memories back of being a first time mom. I feel filled with pride when I see him with his daughter and see the love shining out of his eyes. I've made many mistakes, but I'm so glad he learned from them.
3. Daniel and Sheryl.
I can't say enough about my daughter-in-love. She has truly brought out the best in my son and is the most caring partner I could wish for him. She's an amazing mom and is learning to put up with me. Out of all the women in the world, I couldn't have asked for a better daughter-in-love.
4. Sheryl's family as an added bonus.
I look at Sheryl's family as our bonus family. We've become friends as well and I truly enjoy spending time with them. It's rare these days to have in-laws that you truly like and enjoy spending time with. We're fortunate to have that and look forward to the years ahead.
I am blessed to have a true partner to go through life with. We've already shared 28 years together and I look forward to the next 28 years. We've had trials and tribulations, but we've weathered them. These past two years have truly taught me the meaning of marriage and I couldn't ask for a more loving and patient and supportive husband to have at my side.
6. My furkids.
What would my life be without my doggies? The love and acceptance I get from them make my life great on my worst days. They're always happy to see me and love me despite my limitations. And Sage? Well, she's my heart and soul. She's with me 24 hours a day.
7. My illness.
My illness has also taught me compassion and humility. Now that I'm the one who's disabled and not able to get around as I used to, I have infinitely more patience as I go through a normal day. Somebody driving too slow or taking too long at the register? That's ok. I have my bad moments as well. Having to use a cane to get around has taught me how nice other people are. It's rare for me to go through a door that hasn't already been opened by someone. I'm always humbled by the extra mile people will go to help, even if it's just carrying my cup to a table for me. People are nice.
8. Facebook.
I know Facebook has a lot of critics, and it can be addictive. But to so many of us with a chronic illness and no ability to work, Facebook has become a life link. It provides us with companionship and the ability to socialize online when otherwise we would be trapped at home, isolated. Facebook is our window to the world and gives us friends to vent to and to be lifted up when we're down.
Facebook is also a great place for information. Whether it's Veteran related, whether it's finding out if the main roads are clear, Facebook gives us a link to the outside world when we're trapped inside.
As I've spent the last couple of years struggling with my illness, both physical and emotional, my veteran family has helped me through many bad times. I've learned that most of us have scars, invisible or not, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I've learned to be proud of my military service and to be proud of my fellow veterans.
10. My past life.
I'm grateful for my past, good and bad. It's shaped me to be who I am today, and that's something I'm proud of. I'm a survivor, I'm a warrior and I'll continue to embrace life with every breath of my being. I've learned that I'm so much stronger than I ever thought I could be. I've learned that every tribulation that has crossed my path has made me a better person. The lessons I've learned have led me to helping others and that service is what makes my life a full and productive one.
And there you have it. My top ten Gratitude List. What's on yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment