Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Strength of character?

Sigh.

The untimely death of Robin Williams seems to have divided this country once again, instead of bringing us together to mourn the passing of such an icon.

What's dividing us?  The topic of suicide.  This isn't the first time that this argument has hit the public, but it seems, that with the popularity of social media, everyone's opinion must be heard.  Opinions are a great thing - it's a way of practicing our free speech.

But at what expense?   Robin's daughter, Zelda has had to delete all social media because of cyberbullying. Obviously, she didn't suffer enough when she lost her father.  She now has to listen to every idiot and troll out there with half a brain and a phone or computer.  In this day and age, I'm so glad to be anonymous and private.

And the hateful comments that have come out of this controversy, some from people that I used to respect. Used to.  I always value and respect people's opinions, even when they're completely different from mine. What I can't value is narrow mindedness and judgments.

I don't care if you regard suicide as selfish or not, but be careful about making judgments, because you never know who you're attacking.  When you say that you were able to stop your own suicide by thinking about your family instead of yourself, great for you.  But when you start questioning strength of character, be careful.

You haven't walked in my shoes.  You haven't lived my life.  And, until you have, don't you dare question my strength of character.  I've survived decades of abuse and other atrocities.  Yes, I tried to kill myself because the pain became too overwhelming.  I'm proud of the fact that I made it through the other side and I proudly call myself a survivor.  It's a struggle every day, but I've managed to beat it every day.

But don't you dare call me selfish or weak.  I struggle every day to survive and I don't need you or anyone else to make me question myself anymore than I already do.  I already have issues and I don't need you to add to them.

So, whatever you think or feel, all the power to you.  But don't belittle me and what I deal with every day because you consider yourself superior.  You're not.

1 comment: