Bargaining was not a big issue with me. I am a control freak and to me, there was no either/or with this situation. I WAS going to get better and get back to my old life one way or another. I really should laugh at my own arrogance.
Depression has been my constant companion since reaching my diagnosis. I alternate between getting mad at my body and throwing pity parties for myself. A little whine to go with that pity? Depression can become crippling if we allow it. I've become isolated at times and drowning in depression so deep that I could barely speak, let alone function. How did I get to this point? I have plenty of loved ones around that care for me and want to help me. I have a great therapist, who I would be lost without. I'm on good medication. Why isn't that enough? Because I'm the only one who can get me through this. At some point, I have to do the work and become accepting. Until I accept and surrender to my new life, I will continue to struggle through my days. In the end, it's up to me.What does acceptance mean to someone with a chronic illness. Do I have to accept that my life is over? Not at all. It just means that I now live a different life than I had expected. I can no longer work, so I ensure that I do volunteer work to continue giving back and being productive. I can't do everything I'd like to, but I do what I can and build on my strengths so that I am a valuable partner.
Acceptance is pacing myself. I can't clean the entire house in one day like I used to. So, I do laundry one day, dust the next, sweep and mop another day. I've learned to grocery shop more frequently and limit myself to two bags per trip. I plan menus every week and that makes it easier as well.
Acceptance for me meant understanding that my friends and family could't always be there when I needed them to drag me out of the house or do something fun. I need to learn to stand on my own two feet. I need to meet new people, develop new interests and not be afraid of what my new life has to offer. It's scary, but I'm taking baby steps.
Acceptance for me is starting a gratitude journal. Every night I list three things that happened that day that I am grateful for or that made me happy. It allows me a chance to go back and read happy thoughts on those days that I struggle with finding joy.
Acceptance for me is learning mindfulness. I'm trying not to constantly look to the future for my happiness, but to find it in the moments that I'm living in now.
I'm not perfect. I fall back into bad habits. I still have pity parties. But after they're over, I pick myself up and start over again. Because I'm resilient.
Very we'll written. I feel the same. Very upset with myself. Took off of work today due to severe pain bc I worked a 12 hour day yesterday and it threw me into a flare.
ReplyDelete