Saturday, July 21, 2012

Combating the Blues

According to WebMd, an estimated 19 million adults are living with major depression. 


Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable, or down in the dumps. Most of us feel this way at one time or another for short periods.
True clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for weeks or longer.
The exact cause of depression is not known. Many researchers believe it is caused by chemical changes in the brain. This may be due to a problem with your genes, or triggered by certain stressful events. More likely, it's a combination of both.
Some types of depression run in families. But depression can also occur if you have no family history of the illness. Anyone can develop depression, even kids.
Depression can change or distort the way you see yourself, your life, and those around you.
People who have depression usually see everything with a more negative attitude. They cannot imagine that any problem or situation can be solved in a positive way.
  • Agitation, restlessness, and irritability
  • Becoming withdrawn or isolated
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Dramatic change in appetite, often with weight gain or loss
  • Fatigue and lack of energy
  • Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
  • Feelings of worthlessness, self-hate, and guilt
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in activities that were once enjoyed
  • Thoughts of death or suicide
  • Trouble sleeping or too much sleeping
Depression can appear as anger and discouragement, rather than feelings of sadness.
If depression is very severe, there may also be psychotic symptoms, such as hallucinations and delusions.                             
Why am I writing about depression?  Because I have been suffering from major depression for about a month now.  All of those symptoms above describe my life.  I don't want to get out of bed.  I don't want to eat.  I don't want to go anywhere or talk to anyone and I have had thoughts of suicide, although I've been able to overcome those with the help of a therapist.
I'm not quite sure what has caused this major change - I have had several emotional and physical blows lately and that may have contributed to it.  All I know is that I feel like I have a cement block tied to my feet and my head is underwater and I can't rise to the top.  I think it's truly one of the worst and most hopeless feelings in the world.  You know what's wrong and there's not a damn thing that will change it, not even medication.
Why are we so afraid to speak of depression?  It's an illness, just like cancer or heart problems and can be just as deadly, if not treated.  It's normally a lack of seratonins in the brain.
What can be done to overcome depression?  Every person is different.  Medications, therapy, holistic treatments, they can all help.  At this time, medication is not helping, neither is therapy.  So how am I getting through the day?  By talking to my husband and friends and telling myself one day at a time.  I wake up each morning and say to myself that I will get through today.  I know this is not the long term answer, but it's getting me through today.
What do you do to combat your depression?


1 comment:

  1. I understand depression, Marion. Just know that it is okay to have low days. Because once the low days (or weeks) pass, there will be good days (or weeks) ahead.

    To combat my depression, Marion, I eat chocolate (without guilt). I listen to music that makes me feel good. I curl up in bed with my cats and watch movies with happy endings. I don't beat myself up for lying in bed when I have 'so much stuff to get done'. It's just simply okay to feel bad, sad, angry, and to cover your head up with blankets until you are feeling better. We are just human after all. I hope you feel better soon, Marion.... and you will. Your friend, Janet Jones

    ReplyDelete