I have been so busy with everyday things at work that my creative juices have not been flowing too much. Either that or my little brain is overworked.
My dream is being realized. We have daycare clients, we have hotel clients and I'm loving getting to spend a part of every day with the dogs. Compared to my life a year ago, I am in dog heaven.
But being a business owner has its own downside. Trying to balance making a living to making our clients happy can sometimes be counterproductive. I have to stop and remind myself that I can't make everyone happy. It's been tough explaining our concept to people. They come in, expecting a traditional boarding kennel and the rates associated with that. At the beginning, I was defensive about our rates, but no longer. After seeing what we have to offer, compared to other boarding kennels, I am proud and will not apologize. I have learned that if price is such a huge factor in an owner's decision on where to place their dogs, then they might not be the client for us. We offer services you can't find anywhere else in this area and we are proud of it. I have given this speech so many times now, I think I can recite it in my sleep.
But it's all worth it when I see little Jack, who spent most of his life in a crate with no contact, come in with very little skills and not getting along with anyone and now he plays well with just about every dog there and has become a special friend to Ben. His progress, in one short week, has been overwhelmingly successful and I am so proud that we are a part of his journey to becoming a true dog.
We had our Grand Opening yesterday and it was worth all the time and hard work we put into it. My family worked so hard to help make this event successful and I am grateful for their support. Our team is an awesome team - we work so well together and they all go above and beyond to make our dream come true.We had lots of people stop by for tours all day long. We welcomed another new client - Ben, a beautiful, playful German Shepard.
I worked 15 hours yesterday and still have a full week, since I am on 6 day workweeks. This is not a complaint - it's a choice I made and I don't regret it. Seeing our furfriends out running around, playing and having fun, makes it all worthwhile. I sometimes have to pinch myself because it's still hard to realize that this place is mine.
I almost think you have the best job. Working with animals can be very rewarding, but there are the sad times as well. While you didn't post anything about all the preparation work, it sounds like you are experiencing the "normal" for starting a new business.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the best in your business and your life.