Friday, June 17, 2011

A bad rap

I have been searching for a topic to write, or rant, about, and I have found it.  A story in the Seattle Times caught my eye.  It's a story about a Virginia man who was allegedly killed by his own pit bull.  He also had another one chained up on another part of his property.  The article spoke about his defensive wounds on his hands.

The article didn't bother me.  What bothered me were the comments left my readers.  http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/reader_feedback/public/display.php?thread=507122&direction=DESC&column=rating&offset=0#post_2783147

While there were some supporters of pits, most spoke about wanting to shoot every pit bull in the world and obliterate their existence.  Readers talked of all pits being vicious, just like dobermans and rottweilers.  That they can't help it - they're just vicious and need to "be served in the nearest asian restaurant".  I am still shocked at the ignorance some people display.

To be honest, I have also had some preconceived notions about certain breeds, but the last year have taught me how wrong I was.

Last winter, I spent some time volunteering at the Blount County Animal Shelter.  There, I met Cash, a rather large Rottweiler.  The first couple of times, I went around him, scared to catch his attention.  But it didn't take me long to discover that Cash only wanted love and attention.  He was like an oversized puppy, and every time someone came into the room, his little tail would go into overdrive and his mouth started drooling at the thought of being able to give kisses.  His eyes were so expressive.  All he wanted was someone to love and to love him back.  I was so happy on Christmas Eve, when someone was able to overlook his size and adopted him.  Cash deserved a good home and I'm sure he's having a great time being able to just be a pet.

I now own a doggy daycare and hotel and have been fortunate enough to meet other "vicious" breeds. Before anyone gets carried away and accuses me of allowing mean dogs into my facility, let me say that every dog has to pass a temperament test before they are allowed to enter.  They have to get along or they are not allowed onto my premises.  The only dog that I have ever had to refuse was a Jack Russell, not a pit bull or doberman.

 My first was Abby, a black pit bull.  Yep, she was vicious.  Abby had to be one of the goofiest dogs I've ever met.  All she wanted to do was play all day - either with the other dogs, or in the pool.  Yes, she loved to sit in the pool and splash away.  Abby stayed with us for over a week and when her parents came to get her, I demanded visitation rights.  Abby will always hold a special place in my heart.

Next was Gus, a very large Doberman.  He was very scary.  He probably could have licked me to death.  Gus loved to run and loved to play with the other dogs.  He was always gentle with the smaller dogs, and as a matter of fact, at times stepped in when other dogs got a little carried away.

Tanner, my boxer boy, is my sweetheart.  He is a large goofball that wants nothing more than to run and play in the pool all day.  He is such a sweetheart that we have started to use him as one of our temperament test dogs.

And if my personal experiences are not enough, on Facebook is Cherry, a sweet pit bull rescue that used to belong to Michael Vick.  Yep, he's one of those killer dogs.  Be sure and look at his pictures, especially where he's curled up sleeping with mommy and daddy or his smaller siblings.  He is a true example of what can happen when a dog receives the love and attention that he deserves.

So when you meet a strange dog on the street, exercise caution.  You should do that with all dogs.  Ask the owner's permission to pet the dog.  And if it's a pit bull or other large breed, don't let biases stop you from meeting that pooch.  Chances are, you'll make a friend for life.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Believe it or not, I can only say I've been bitten by two dogs (at least that I remember); one was when I was a kid and the dog was being protective of a child of the family that owned it. The family paid all the doctor's expenses (wasn't much back in those days) and the dog later became friendly with me.

    The second one was a Chihuahua and that little bugger had to jump up on the step just above the one I was standing on so he could bite me above my boot top.

    When we were younger, they also said to not get Siamese cats because they were so vicious. Definitely not true. Any animal has the possibility of being a bad one, but mostly because they are treated and trained wrong.

    ReplyDelete