Sunday, October 1, 2017

Don't label me!

I wrote this on my Facebook page yesterday as a response to someone who chose to use a label on me because I didn't agree with him.  I despise labels.  They're simply an excuse for name calling if you don't agree with their politics.

I believe that I'm much more than a simple label.  We, as humans, are more than a simple label.  It's what makes our country great.  We can state our opinions publicly, and under normal conditions, be respected for them.  Lately, that freedom seems to come with some costs.  We're living in an age of discontent and fear mongering, a place that we, as Americans, shouldn't be.

 I enjoy debating different sides of the coin on issues, as long as it stays respectful.


I am not a liberal. I am not a conservative. I am not a democrat nor am I a republican.
What I am is a free thinking woman and veteran who doesn't believe in labels. I think they're divisive and unnecessary.
I don't believe in following a political party just because I am a member. I don't believe in voting for a certain candidate because they belong to a certain party.
What I do believe in is human rights. I believe in thinking for yourself. I believe in questioning the status quo. I believe in holding people accountable. I believe in free speech and I believe that there comes a responsibility with free speech.
I don't care if you're white, black, pink or purple. I don't care if you're straight, gay, bi or whatever your identity may be. I do care if you're a good person and treat other people fairly.
I don't care if you're Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or believe in unicorns. I do care that you respect the beliefs of others as you expect them to believe in yours.
I care that you treat others as you'd expect to be treated. I care that while you are on my personal page, that you respect my beliefs, while I will respect yours, whether I agree with them or not.
I will not argue with you for the sake of a political argument. I will not debate with you if you choose to use cliched labels. If that's the best you can do, please feel free to unfollow me. I will not engage.

No comments:

Post a Comment