Tuesday, December 8, 2020

racism

 I agree with some things you said, but when you start naming the names of the African Americans who have been killed by cops, I have to stop and ask why you don't mention the female cop who was just killed on her first day on the job by an African American who also killed his wife?

My point being that ALL lives matter. My husband is a police officer. He has never had to shoot someone, but there have been times when his life was in extreme danger while doing his job.

I realize that there is racism that occurs. But I don't think that constantly calling out all racial attacks will help. When I moved to the U.S. in 1972, I spoke no English, coming from Germany. I was the victim of many attacks, verbal and physical. I was called a Nazi and much worse. My childhood has given me a unique perspective of divisiveness in this world. I also served as a female soldier in saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. Talk about being attacked for who you were.

And no, I do not believe that silence is the answer. Silence killed so many million Jews during WW2. What I do believe in is the power of positive recognition. Let's give credit to the ones who are working to make a change. Let's shine the spotlight on heroes, not the bad guys. Why give them another platform?

As for the Oscars, they are show business awards. And yes, I agree that the winners should be judged on performance, and not color or sex. But, what about the BET awards? I love watching them. Caucasians don't win at that awards show, but it's not boycotted.

I believe that Chris Rock was saying, quit making the divisiveness worse. Work together instead of apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment