We have 40 days left in our house! Wow, we can't wait. We're moving from an 1800 sq ft house to a 296 sq ft mobile house. We have a lot of emotions. We've lived in this house for 25 years. We raised our son here and watched him grow into a man.
We succeeded in our careers in this house and worked hard. Too hard, sometimes. We've had our ups and downs. We've loved, we've hated, but always together.
Moving forward to the next chapter of our lives is a little scary. Will we want to kill each other in that small a space? I doubt it. We'll have the great outdoors to frolic in. Maybe not frolic at our age, but you get the point.
Downsizing has been very emotional. Some days have been easy and fun, other days have been horrible. Memories of loved ones no longer here have been thrown into the forefront as we look upon the memories we shared with them.
The last three years have been the most important years in my life, I believe. All those fears and ghosts I've had in my mind - I finally faced them all and put them in their place. I know now that I can face anything and come through on the other side. There are going to be bad days..I know that. But I can deal with them now, on my own. And if I need help, I have my partner to lean on, and he's a great partner.
Leaving friends and family, and our entire lives behind will not be easy. Thanks to modern technology, keeping in touch will be easier, but the getting together for a cup of coffee time will be missed. Our political chats over cafe mocha? We've been saving the world! My time with the best Life Coach in the world - I'll miss my hugs. But she won't get rid of me that easily!
I never thought I could handle stresses on my own. I always had to run to someone to help me take care of them. I don't need to do that anymore. I can figure things out on my own. I may not always do it right, but eventually I make peace with my decision. I've learned to communicate better and to pull myself out of stressful situations before they escalate to unmanageable.
I never thought I could handle stresses on my own. I always had to run to someone to help me take care of them. I don't need to do that anymore. I can figure things out on my own. I may not always do it right, but eventually I make peace with my decision. I've learned to communicate better and to pull myself out of stressful situations before they escalate to unmanageable.
What to keep? What to get rid of? It's not been easy, but we tell each other that finding good homes makes it bearable. And that it's been. Each item that we've gifted to someone means something. Bookshelves for my dear book loving friend. Tools for a friend working on her own business. Mementoes to family members. My favorite Greek print to my sister. My furniture to my mother. My beloved car will be driven by my mom. That makes me smile, rather than cry. I have always loved my car and would have driven it until it died. But we can only tow one car and that will be the jeep.
Today is an emotional day.
No comments:
Post a Comment