Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Friends and a chronic illness

I have to chuckle a little.  Today alone on Facebook, I saw two posts where friends were trying to be helpful.  I see them every day, though.

One sent an article to a friend with Fibromyalgia about the wonders of a hyperbaric chamber curing Fibro.  My friend was very polite in her answer, much more polite than I think I might have been.


Another one has terminal cancer.  A friend sent her a link touting licorice as a way to kill cancer cells in the body.  Again, this friend also displayed grace and thanked her friend.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful.  The fact that someone cares enough to look for these articles and take the time to forward them on is wonderful.  Thank you for looking out for us - it really is appreciated.

But, please don't be offended when we don't do what you suggested.  See, most of us with chronic illnesses have a medical staff that we work with on our health.  These are medical professionals who went to school for many years to gain knowledge and experience.  I rely on their skill to keep me going to the best of my ability.  I discuss with them every aspect of my treatment and daily lifestyle.

These professionals are specialists who stay on top of the latest research and treatments.  The problem with the internet is that it's filled with millions of unskilled experts.  I've seen articles touting beetle dung as a cure for cancer.  Really?  There are thousands of researchers working on finding effective cancer treatments, but one person writes an authentic-sounding article and all of a sudden, it's gospel.

Please take this in the spirit it's been written.  I love that you care for me and my health.  But, please, let me follow my treatment plan I have in place with my doctor.  Believe me, I'd much rather be healthy than sick, and if I thought one of those "cures" would work, I'd run to it.  But years of illness have taught me that a slow, measured approach to treatment changes is much more effective.

Besides, I don't like licorice.


No comments:

Post a Comment