Losing my business was one of the hardest things for me to deal with. I started it with a dream of making a difference in dogs' lives and I loved what I was doing. Walking away from that dream left me with such a sense of failure that I never thought I would recover from it. I was lucky enough to have my mom and brother take it over, so it's still in the family and run the way I started it. But I went from being a successful career women with a Type A personality, to being a respected business owner to being what I felt was a nothing. All of a sudden, I had no goals and no future to work towards. I went home and had no purpose anymore.
Add to that my flashbacks, and life became too much to bear. I decided I couldn't live with the pain anymore and tried to overdose. Thanks to my husband, I wasn't successful. That was my lowest point I had ever been to. Now came the challenge of trying to crawl out of this pit.
Flash forward to today and I can happily say that I've dragged myself out of the hole. I've learned to let go of the business and just enjoy going down to play with the dogs. I don't allow myself to get dragged into family dramas anymore. They're too stressful. I've also learned to accept my disease and live with it. My new mantra is to live the life I've been given. And that's what I'm doing. I'm LIVING. Each day is a blessing to me, and I don't worry about tomorrow anymore.
My life is simplified. I don't work anymore and I've applied for disability. It doesn't bother me anymore. It is what it is. My bad days make my good days more special. I go to a water therapy class, which has helped me move more. I will never be able to go without my cane because of my balance issues, but that's ok - I got a bright pink one. Might as well look pretty! Our income is half what it used to be and I enjoy life a lot more. I'm not working 10-15 hours a day anymore, too exhausted to enjoy anything. My days now are filled with simple pleasures - opening my windows to celebrate the beginning of autumn...laughing at the antics of my dogs...cooking, yes, cooking a good meal. Helping others, whether it's my Fibro Support Group online or something related to disabled veterans, I want to make a difference now in a small way.I'm at peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment