I thought that rather than wait until inspiration struck again, I would pick a topic and just write, free-form on it and see what happens.
We've been fortunate this past weekend with our weather. Temps in the 60s, sun and a smile on my face. Of course, Mother Nature has enjoyed lulling us into a false sense of Spring security, so she plans on bring us a healthy dose of reality.
Of course, the forecasters could be wrong. They are, after all, forecasters. But I really am tired of hearing the words snow, cold and record setting. I'm ready for Mother Nature to turn over her new leaf and bring us Spring.
Spring has always been my favorite season. It's the season of rebirth. When I see the daffodils and other bulbs peeking their little heads above the ground, I know it's time to celebrate. I feel like they do - peeking out and asking if it's safe to come out and play now.
Trees in winter have their own stark beauty, but there is nothing like seeing little green buds turn into true foliage. The sight of the redbuds in bloom bring a smile to my face. And when the dogwood trees start to bloom, my feet itch to get out and enjoy the day. Watching flowers bloom is like watching a canvas being painted. It makes me wish I had more of a green thumb. Each Spring I commit to being a better gardener and actually help something grow. Whether I do is another post.
My ears enjoy Spring as well. You know the weather has turned when you wake up to melodies outside your window. I love to hear the birds singing in the warmer weather. For the past six years, we have had a woodpecker in the big tree outside our bedroom window. When I start hearing that familiar peck, peck, I know winter is over and I wake up easier, knowing that the days will be brighter.
One of the things I love about living in East Tennessee is that we get to see a moderate version of all four seasons. But so far, this winter has been anything but moderate and I'm ready to say goodbye to the old man and say hello to nature unfolding before our eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment