Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Going from 2010 to 2011


2010 just wasn't a great year for me.  I gave up a 13 year career for very good reasons.  I have a bad habit of trusting people, even after they've proven themselves not to be trustworthy.  This has been a bone of contention between myself and my husband for many years.  He's naturally distrusting of anyone and once you've screwed him over, forget it.  There's no going back.  Me, I like to believe the best in people and think that they're the same way.  Inevitable, this leads to heartbreak.  In 2010, it also led to an end of a professional career that I truly loved.  But it was harming me more than it was doing me good, so eventually, I let it go.


The decline continued.  People I thought were life long friends dropped off the face of the earth and to this day, I haven't heard from many of them.  The good thing form that is now I know who my true friends are and I've learned a valuable lesson on what is important.

I started a new career shortly thereafter, but from the beginning, I knew that it would not last.  Some things are not meant to be.  The end, though, came very unexpectedly, in a very cold and brutal way.  I lost someone so very dear to me in the same week.  The hits have kept coming, since.  A car accident, surgery and illness - they have all hit my loved ones.

One highlight this year was a trip to Germany to see my family and my roots.  It seems that the older I get, the more important my beginning is to me.  I truly enjoyed seeing family and all the places that meant so much to me when I was young.  The only regret I have is that I didn't have more time to revisit old haunts.

Another highlight was the purchase of our RV in January.  Every time we go out and stay, it's like a magical place.  All the stress and tensions go away and I truly relax.  It was on one of those trips that I came to terms with my professional decisions and made peace with my new life.  I am eager to be able to retire and travel this country on a fulltime basis.

In another blog post, I wrote about my newfound joy in volunteering at the local animal shelter.  It is such a wonderful feeling to do good and know that you're making a difference.  These animals have noone to help them, but us.  At times, I get overwhelmed at all the needs, but all I do is look at my mom's Alex and know that every little bit helps.  As long as I remember that I can't help everyone, I do ok.

So what do I wish for 2011?  The obvious answer is a job.  But I'm being a little more selective.  I don't want to go back to fundraising.  It's too difficult a life and the toll it takes on your soul is too much.  I'm ready for a change.  To what, I don't know.  I would love to work in the animal field. but in this economy, that may not be possible.  Either way, I'm trying not to be afraid of what the future holds.

I also want peace in my life.  I want to learn to be happier in my moments.  I have said it many times, but I truly want to savor the precious moments in my life and not squander them.  I don't want to look back later in my life and have regrets over all the things I didn't do or didn't say.  I want to take the time to spend with my loved ones.  They will not always be here and I want to appreciate every moment with them.  They have been there for me in good times and bad, and in times when I've pushed them to the side because I was too busy.  I don't want to be too busy.

I want to learn to be grateful for what I have instead of worrying about what I don't have.  I want to learn to be happy with my life.  In the non-profit world you are always reaching for lofty goals and can never be happy with what you have.  This has spilled over in my personal life and a tradition I want to get rid of.

I know that I will stumble in my progress.  As life happens, I'll forget my promises to myself.  I hope that my family and friends will stop me during those times and remind me of what is important in life.  I never want to forget again.


2 comments:

  1. I hope that you get all that you strive for in the year 2011.. I too have taken a long look at what is going on in my life. I decided to change things that I have done on a traditional basis in thinking that I will take away any bad mojo that has been going on in my life. I have a wonderful husband that I have adored for years. A few years ago at Christmas time when he was told that he was no longer needed, he took a hit to his moral, our house hold took a hit, while trying to not let the family suffer we went on like nothing was wrong...Later another incident,it was not something that he did, but he took it to heart, my husband slowly started down hill....then problems started...he was always tired, sick, couldn't breath, angry, sad....money, money and more money things would get worse. After I finally had enough with doctors pumping him with different meds. for this and for that, it was found that he was depressed...the good news! He is better, he is doing great with his job, he feels better about himself. But I have been dealing with all that has been going on, trying to pick up the pieces, trying not to let him have to deal with problems and the thing is that I am having a hard time bouncing back, I have struggled with finances to point of throwing up and tears. And as much as I want to see the future I have considered otherwise. So you see your blog is wonderful and I am glad that you are taking the time to stop and smell the roses. Slowing down is something that we all need...I have fought to be strong for my entire family and it has been hard when I have been broken...so broken that there were times I gave in wanting death...For some reason it has never happened. I guess that we all can be very thankful that there is a God, that he has a purpose for us. I had always wished that I could be like everyone else...that someone would call me up to eat lunch one day and I could go...to be important to my family, not just because I can cook and clean. To have my dad here by my side to tell me that he loves me and that he is proud of me. But most of all to stop crying at every little thing that happens and to be truly happy. It is hard, but I guess that is what makes us strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all are important and needed - sometimes we just need a reminder of that...I know I do. And I am always here, for lunch, for moral support, for a shoulder, whatever - just call on me.

    ReplyDelete