Thursday, December 16, 2010

December in Tennessee

For those of you in RVs that have followed the sun...blechhhhh!  This week alone we have had school closings for snow and just when I thought it was safe to go back out in the city, we had an icestorm that closed everything down this morning.

This kind of weather in December is unusual.  It normally waits to get this crazy in January or February or even March, as those of us who lived through the blizzard of '93 can attest to.

My poor little maltipoo Brenna went out this morning to do her business and got stuck.  She couldn't make it back up the sidewalk or the ramp, so Daddy had to go get her.  When it came time for the other two twits to go out, we carried them up the basement stairs.  They didn't know what to do with all the slipping and sliding they were doing.  Since noone was hurt in this little exercise, I have to admit that it was funny watching them.  We now have rain and temps going up into the mid to high 40s, so most of the ice is gone.  But it was pretty while it lasted.   Here are a few pictures I got:





Donnagan through the screen, telling me to get my dumb butt back in the house.











Yesterday, we went to Cades Cove to see the snow.  The Cove, a part of the Great Smoky Mtn National Park, is one of my favorite places to go.  My spirit always feel soothed after I go through the loop.  I've seen bears, coyotes, fox, deer, turkeys and a lot of idiot tourists, but I'll leave that for another day.   Yesterday, the valley was blanketed in white and so silent you could hear yourself think.  Our only company were the horses, a couple of turkeys brave enough to show themselves the week before Christmas and a lot of deer.  I don't think I've ever seen so many deer at one time all over the place.  The one picture burned into my mind is when we came around a corner and right in front of us was a beautiful buck.  He froze, just staring at us.  I felt like we were communicating.  Then he took off across the road.  One last glance over his shoulder, and he was gone.  We were so startled that we didn't even get our cameras out, but I'll never forget him.  So many does out feeding and getting ready for the ravages of winter.  It was truly a picture perfect day.  And not a tourist in sight.



I loved this horse and deer looking at each other





I'm outta here





1 comment: