Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Spending my Tyme...in a new way

Yesterday, I decided that I had done enough with the pity party and it was time to move on and do something constructive.  I had read in the newspaper that the new animal shelter would now be open on Saturdays and they were looking for volunteers.  Hmmmm, animals and volunteering?  That's a no-brainer.   I had a few toys and blankets that my furkids didn't need, so I loaded them up and headed down to the shelter, where I expected to stay for an hour or so.

When I got there, chaos was reigning and I stayed to the side and filled out my volunteer application.  I figured that the best use for me would be to take pictures of the dogs, get a Facebook page up and running for them, to help them get their dogs adopted.  I really didn't want much personal interaction with the dogs because I'm always afraid of getting too attached.  I was then introduced to Darlene, another volunteer.  She asked if I was busy and the next thing I know, I'm getting dogs out of kennels, loading them up in a van and going with her to UT Hospital.  We had a lovely chat on the way and talked about where I could do the most good.


When we got back, a little terrier mix, Major, was getting clipped.  He was a stray and his fur had been terribly matted.  When the groomer got done, I picked him up to give him a cuddle.  Well, he ended up staying on my lap the rest of the day, and I realized that I have a gift for loving these dogs.  No matter what happens to them, for a little while, they can be held and loved. 

Long story short, I ended up staying all day.  I've started their FB page and am headed back today to take pictures of new intakes to post.  I'm also compiling a book of all rescue organizations so that this information is available.  I'm also working a fund-raising event on Saturday morning.  Whew!  I met some wonderful people yesterday - besides Darlene, there were Jon and Amy Grubb, Hazel, Jody, Chubby and Houston.  

I haven't been this excited about doing something for a long time.  And I didn't have to dress up or put on make-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment