Saturday, November 27, 2010

A gift that truly gives

Although I am temporarily unemployed, I feel very fortunate, indeed.  We have food, shelter and all the basic necessities, which is more than so many people have during this upcoming holiday season.  What do I have?  Let me count my blessings...


I have wonderful friends.  Last week, I hit a low point, and my friend Janie picked me up and took me to the mountains.  The peace and serenity of my Cove was enough to pick up my spirits and make me grateful for what I have, instead of what I don't have.  Janie is like that.  She's always very low key, but always there when I need her.  When I called her at 4 am the morning my brother in law died, she was there.  When I called her at 3 am when my son was in the hospital, she was there.  She has shared my life, good and bad for I don't know how many years now, but I'm grateful.


I have other friends who are just as thoughtful.  Michael called me last week after Fred passed away because he knew it would hit me hard.  Stacy, Hope, Charlene, Judi - they all care so much and I don't tell them enough how much I appreciate them.


I met some new friends this past week, as well.  I decided to volunteer some time at the Blount County Animal Shelter...nothing like some service to make you feel better.  Darlene, Jon, Amy, Hazel and others made me feel so welcome andneeded.  I have a purpose again and it feels great - thank you!


And Alex.  I met Alex my first day at the shelter.  He was a stray that was getting shaved and was absolutely terrified.  I held him for a few minutes to give him a little reassurance and he ended up in my arms for the rest of the day.  Alex was destined to head for Rochester this coming week, hopefully to be adopted.  On Wednesday I went to his kennel as soon as I arrived at the shelter and he was cowering in the corner.  So, I pulled him back out and kept him with me all day.  I knew there was no way that I would let him stay at the shelter for the holiday weekend all by himself.  We were trying to find temporary homes for all the little dogs anyway.  I called my mom and convinced her to keep Alex just for the weekend.   Alex is about eight years old and just needed some quiet.  When we got to my mother's house, I was shocked to see him jump up on her chair and make himself comfortable at her side.  And he never left it.  He slept with her, followed her everywhere she went.  And my mother has decided to keep him.  They are perfect for each other.  He's quiet and doesn't wear her out and she gives him the peace and love that he needs.  It's obvious he's been abused and the love he's getting now is causing him to thrive.  If nothing else, this past week, I brought together two souls that belong together.  Now, that's a gift.


What gifts do you have that truly give?  With the holiday season coming up, and so many people out of work or "wanting" for other reasons, there is a serious shortage at food pantries around the country. Please consider making a donation of food or cash. It will be much appreciated, and I bet the act of giving will launch you right into the holiday spirit. Search here to find your local food bank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment