I learned a tremendous lesson today. Compassion needs to start within each one of us.
I have been no stranger to letting my opinion be known about our nation's leader and his actions. I felt that since it was my Facebook page, I had the right to post what I wanted and let the world know howI felt. And while I allowed my friends who disagree with me post their rebuttals, I insisted upon civility and respect.
Yesterday morning, I posted something about our leader and, as usual, it wasn't complimentary. This time, however, I was gone all day and not able to monitor comments. To my chagrin, it seems that the disagreement became personal and one of the parties deleted comments. I posted something about maintaining civility and it was not well received.
I realized at that point, that while I had strong feelings about our current political situation, some of my friends were even more passionate about it and felt betrayed by my comments. This was a learning lesson for me.
In today's world, the hate and bitterness has spilled into all our lives. The ugliness shown at the head of our government has infected our society to the point that we have an entire generation of "keyboard ninjas" who feel free to attack those who may not agree with their political leanings. I'm not saying that this has happened on my page that I know of. But I also know, from other pages, that this degeneration into personal attacks and insults can happen every quickly.
I stand my my beliefs about this administration and will never be ashamed of them. However, there are many opportunities on Facebook to have those conversations. And I hold my friends very dearly, no matter their beliefs. They are entitled to them and are entitled to not being harassed for them.
So, how do I walk that fine line between? I've agonized about this for a day and realize that I need to make a decision. My Facebook page is my way of staying in contact with friends and family while we travel. It's my way of finding out what's going on in my friend's lives - their successes and tragedies. And I find that this is more important to me than constantly spewing hate, which I've gotten very good at.
Therefore, I will no longer start any political discussions on my page. I will leave for family and friends to feel free to see what's happening without being afraid of what may be posted. I will leave my political discussions for other places where they are more welcome.
I don't want anyone to think that I've changed my mind about where my beliefs stand. They haven't changed. Nor am I caving in to any certain group. The government will continue to stand where it is, no matter what I post. And I know I won't change anyone's opinion, so I'll just end my rants.
To anyone I've offended, please accept my deepest apologies. Know that you are welcome on my page to discuss or share anything that is not political. I will always stay apprised of world events, but I will keep my disdain to myself about leaders.
I hope that this will be a welcome compromise to friends and family. My wish is for no-one to be hurt by anything posted on my page and this seems to be the only way. Please feel free to PM me with any questions or for any clarity.
And again, I deeply apologize for anything I might have said that offended anyone. My beliefs and moral compass are mine and mine alone. I will continue to advocate for human rights, but I will do it without personal attacks.
No comments:
Post a Comment